ETHICAL AND LEGAL SUPPORT FOR RESEARCH AND INNOVATION IN EUROPEAN R+D
Adequately addressing ethical, legal and social issues is currently a high priority in R&D funded by the European Commission and in the private sector. To meet this need, the Plus Ethics team has developed an innovative model of support for public and private institutions based on research, management and training concerning the ethical, privacy and legal aspects of R&D.
- Regulatory compliance of projects
Outline the international, national and institutional legal frameworks to set out governing principles for ensuring the project’s compliance with the existing legal framework (GDPR, Fundamental Rights, legal harmonisation, Criminal Law, inter alia)
- Oversight of ethical and privacy risks
Monitor the fulfilment of legal and ethical standards for addressing challenges arising during project implementation, advising on protocols and training for their solution.
- Social acceptability and impact assessment
Undertake evidence-based ethical and legal studies with a view to obtaining knowledge and information capable of contributing to the establishment of a new set of moral requirements and the stakeholders acceptance of scientific and technological research.
- Implementation of ethics and privacy handbooks
Elaboration of codes of best practices tailored to different stakeholders and projects.
- Research on innovation ethics
Establishing the state of the art in ethical issues related to projects and identifying and addressing gaps in the specialized literature.
TRAINING IN ETHICAL AND LEGAL ISSUES OF RESEARCH AND INNOVATION
We also provide training courses and workshops on the detection and assessment of ethical and legal issues in R&D for researchers, R&D managers and technology-based entrepreneurs working in project preparation and development.
- Understanding the main concepts associated with the reflection and evaluation of ethical issues in R&D.
- Understand the main ethical issues in R&D, as well as the state-of-the-art for moral reflection.
- Know and develop ethical decision-making models.
- Use tools for identifying the best ethical and legal approach to technological and scientific projects in European calls for proposals.
- Resources, documents and guidelines on ethical and privacy management for projects funded by the European Commission.
- Legislation and regulations on privacy applicable to European research projects.